Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tomorrow is Friday already?

We must be having fun, because time is flying!

Today was another early day.  I think Kiki would rather have slept in.  I do try to get so much in on these trips.  Sleep is for when you get home.

Horseback riding.  This is where the tables were turned.  I was apprehensive and Kiki was ready to go.

Let me just explain that this is trail riding.  You don't get a lot of interaction with these horses.  They know the trail, take the trail every day and that's all they know.

The trail was very beautiful.  Right along Fontana Lake.  I mean right along but 100 to 300 ft below the trail.  That was probably the hardest part to get used to.  Do we have to walk so damn close to the edge,  I now that's where the dry trail is but its a long way down.

Not to worry.  My horse was 27 years old and her name was Pearl.  She did not like to get muddy or go up (or down) hills much at all.  She did take a lot of coaxing to move along.  The guide said she was like riding in a wheelbarrow with a flat tire.  Incredibly, it was a perfect description.

Mackenzie had Dennis, a spry 29 year old horse who was like a car on cruise control.  I felt bad because she did not have to do one thing with the horse. It didn't eat or stop or veer off the trail.  She was at times not even holding on to anything but tapping her hands on her thighs.



It was a nice 2 hour ride and I thank god I did not opt for the 4 hour ride.  My knees just do not take to being in a saddle that long.  

Stopped again at a McDonald's - because you know the quality of the bathrooms.  Like the food,  its not high quality,  but it is very consistent.  Wash up, change say goodbye to the Smokey's and get back on the road.  The family we rafted with was at the same McDonald's.  Like old friends.  Talked, Kiki got a hug from the girl she sat next to on the raft (Amanda).  Wished them safe travels and we were off (not until I pulled over 100 ft later to shut the WIDE OPEN hatch I forgot to close).

515 Miles and over seven hours later we made it to our next hotel.  Elizabeth City.  The gateway to the Outer Banks.  Ok,  I made that up.  Its the closest hotel without being on the Banks without breaking the bank.  

Kiki finally got some sleep and we had a burger at CookOut  (some huge NC chain) with some shakes.  



Honestly the hamburgers I exactly like I make them, the fries were really good and the 40+ flavors of milkshake were the real reason to get here.  (Banana Nut for me).

Time to get some sleep myself.....zzzzzzzzzz



No comments:

Post a Comment